I am happy to announce that we have received permission to begin in-person cadet activities!
This has been a very long and demanding 18 months for cadets, staff, and parents. We have all been on a roller-coaster of emotions as we closed and went on-line, then tried to start back in-person, then were forced on-line again. I congratulate all of you on how you have handled yourselves during this time. But now it’s time to get back to business.
NEW CADETS – your parents will be getting an email in the next few days explaining how to sign up for an appointment on Wednesday October 6th, to bring in your documents and get measured for a uniform.
RETURNING CADETS – I will cover several points, including COVID-19 rules, our startup plan, training plan, and news.
COVID-19 – We know you all have been following the rules, but here are some cadet-specific COVID-19 rules:
- Masks will be worn inside at all times. They are recommended but not required outside.
- You will do a health check before coming to cadets. If you are sick or have symptoms, don’t come.
- You will sign in each evening in the COVID-19 register.
- You will have lots of opportunities to sanitize your hands.
- We will have limits on how many cadets are in the gym, library, classroom, and offices.
- You are not required to show proof of vaccination.
There will be a mandatory COVID-19 briefing on your first training night back.
START-UP PLAN – We will have 3 sessions (on Wed 22 Sep, Sat 25 Sep, and Wed 29 Sep) for RETURNING CADETS AND SIBLINGS to do the following:
- Receive your Annual Validation paperwork (required) – this may include a Detailed Health Questionnaire
- Submit any donations to the Squadron Sponsoring Committee, if not made online
- Receive updated rank badges and slip-ons
- Receive your Field Training Uniform (jacket, pants, boots)
- Receive your Parka (if you don’t already have one)
- Make uniform exchanges
Your parents will be emailed a link to make an appointment on one of these days. Even if you have all your uniform parts and they fit, you are required to make an appointment for the paperwork.
TRAINING PLAN – We are returning to training on Wednesday nights only, but because of COVID-19 limitations we will only be able to have half of the Squadron training at once. We will be training by level, and the schedule will look something like this:
Week 1 – Level 1 and Level 4 in person; Level 2 and Level 3 online
Week 2 – Level 2 and Level 3 in person; Level 1 and Level 4 online
We have not decided which Levels will be combined, so stay tuned for that. Training will begin on Wed 13 Oct 21. In-person training will be from 6:30pm to 9:00pm. Online training times will be announced later. We have not been approved for Band Training yet but hope that we can add that in November. We are planning Refresher Courses for Level 5 Instructors and for Level 2 cadets who have been online only. They will be held in October and November on Saturdays. Dates and times will be announced. We will hold some for Level 3 and 4 later in the year.
NEWS – We have a few announcements of changes that are coming in the next little while:
- GROUND SCHOOL – for those who are wanting to take the Glider or Power Pilot Training Courses in 2022, we are running the Ground School program online Nationally. All cadets across the country will be required to do this if they want to proceed to write the entrance exams for the Glider Pilot or Power Pilot Training Courses. We will have extra sessions with our own instructors as well. This will be a 45-hour self-paced on-line course. Registration deadline is 8 Oct 22.
- CADET 365 – in 2022, we will be getting cadets onto the Cadet 365 computer platform, which will replace our Team. You will be getting an official Cadet email and have access to a lot of useful resources.
There are a few things that you can help us with to prepare for the new year:
- If you haven’t already (most of you have), please fill out the return/uniform survey at: https://forms.gle/vu5XRzmexm4ix5M27 – even if you are not coming back, we would like to know. This will help us when trying to get uniform parts for you when exchanging.
- Check that the contact information we have for you is correct. If your email has changed, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Review the dress regulations so you know how to put new badges on (and to remind yourself of haircut regulations ).
As our Regional CO, Commander Gresmak, says, we have to be ready to “flexecute” (flexibly execute) our plans as things may change at the last moment, but I am confident you can all make the transition back to cadets successfully. I look forward to seeing each of you in the near future.
Per Ardua Ad Astra,
Major Dave Angst, CD Commanding Officer